Tender chunks of beef, vegetables, and barley in a rich savory beef broth, this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is ready to eat in no time, and tastes like it simmered all day long.
I am so excited for soup season! How about you? This Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup is a must make. Even more so, it’s done so quickly in the pressure cooker, which means you can enjoy it anytime. Not just when you have all day to let soup simmer on the stove.
A little back story on vegetable beef soup recipes. My sister-in-law, Karen passed away in 2005. She was an amazing woman and a great cook. She made the most amazing beef vegetable soup. I asked her for the recipe, and she said she didn’t really have one. She was always going to write one down for me, and sadly, she never did.
SOME OF THE ITEMS BELOW CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS; I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES. I AM ALSO AN AFFILIATE FOR OTHER BRANDS. HOWEVER, I ONLY PROMOTE THINGS THAT I LOVE AND THINK YOU WILL LOVE, TOO. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY PLEASE CLICK HERE.
The only other beef vegetable soup that has ever compared to hers, is one I get at a local prime rib place called Jerico’s, here in Omaha. They make it with scraps of their prime rib, and it’s full of barley, like this soup recipe I have for you today.
This recipe here comes from my friend, Debra at a great website called Bowl Me Over. It’s my contribution to Freaky Friday. Not sure what Freaky Friday is? Well, yes, it’s a movie with Jamie Lee Curtis, but today it’s a good old fashioned blog hop, hosted by yours truly, with some of my very favorite food bloggers.
I am always excited when I draw Debra’s blog, because she has so many wonderful recipes to choose from! This is actually my second time being able to cook from her blog.
The first time I made this Rustic Harvest Stew. It was the first time I had ever cooked with okra, and we loved it!
Debra is an amazing woman, and I have “known” her for a few years now. (Someday I just know I will get to meet and hug her in person!) Her website focuses a lot on foods that are served in a bowl, hence the name! But can I tell you, that she has some amazing jam recipes, too! In fact, I have been lucky enough to be able to try one first hand.
Debra and her husband are darling together, and love to travel and hang at home with their dogs and cats. She just got a Corgi puppy, and I love following along with all of the shenanigans she shares on social media. Puppies are a lot for work, but totally worth it, right Deb?
Debra is active in her community and volunteering. My favorite charity she is involved with is called Cake 4 Kids. She, along with others make and deliver birthday cakes and cookies to children in the foster care system. She makes some amazing cakes, friends!! So talented!!
The hardest part about being assigned Bowl Me Over is deciding what on earth to make! Since this was our Fall round, I searched two categories to stick to the theme: Pumpkin and Soup! I considered her Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, but then narrowed it down to two soup recipes, her Roasted Cauliflower Soup was my other choice, but in the end, because I am in search of the best vegetable beef soup recipe, I chose this one.
Debra has so many soup recipes and ideas, you need to check them all out for yourself. While you visit, check out her Complete Guide to Making Homemade Soups.
^ Love it? Pin it! ^
Speaking of which, let’s chat about what you need to make this yummy vegetable beef soup in your Instapot!
What Ingredients do I need to make this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup?
- round steak
- canned beef consommé and French onion soup
- beef stock, Olive oil
- onion, carrots, mushrooms, celery, frozen peas, tomato
- garlic, salt & pepper, Italian seasoning, bay leaves
Start by chopping and slicing your veggies, and trimming the round steak of fat, and cubing it into bite sized chunks.
Gather your barley, spices and frozen peas. The process goes super fast once you have all of the prep done.
Begin by browning the meat in oil in your pressure cooker.
Add in vegetables, barley and spices.
Liquids, and then cook on manual for 20 minutes. Release pressure and remove bay leaves. I like my broth just a little bit thicker, so I stirred in a bit of cornstarch and water. Not necessary though.
Dig in! Serve it right out of the pot. Less dishes.
Do you love your instant pot pressure cooker? I have to admit, I tend to forget to use mine sometimes, but when I do, I am so glad that I did! I still can’t get over how fast everything cooks. I have some great recipes I have tried, though. I hope you take a peek at those, too!
Favorite Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Dr. Pepper BBQ Pork Ribs
- Instant Pot Beer Cheese Soup with Kraut & Kielbasa
- Instant Pot New England Clam Chowder
- Instant Pot Twisted Meatball Subs
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
It’s time to get to this great addition to those Favorite Pressure Cooked Recipes, this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup with barley. But first, let me show you what everyone else made!
Take a look at all of our Fall 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- A Grande Life – Easy Beer Cheddar Dip
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Three Cheese Roast Beef Sliders
- Bowl Me Over – Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter Recipe
- Healing Tomato – Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Hostess at Heart – Caramel Apple Pie Snack Mix
- House of Nash Eats – Slow Cooker Applesauce Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – White Cheddar Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Lemon Blossoms – Maple Oven Roasted Carrots
- Life, Love & Good Food – Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
- Mildly Meandering – Saffron Rice
- Soulfully Made – Salted Dark Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Take Two Tapas – Margarita Pizza Pull Apart Bread
- The Speckled Palate – Halloween Peanut Butter Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- West Via Midwest – Easy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Who Needs a Cape? – Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade
Enjoy this Vegetable Beef Soup!
- 2 pounds round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consommé
- 1 (32 ounce) container beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup white mushrooms, rough chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- Turn instant pot to the sauté setting, add oil. Add beef, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Add Italian seasoning, barley and all of the vegetables. Stir.
- Add soups and stock. Add bay leaves. Give it a stir.
- Cover with the lid, turn to seal. Turn to manual setting and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer is done, so is dinner! Do a quick release and serve.
I added 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch stirred into 2 tablespoons of water to thicken the broth a little bit. Totally optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 446mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 41g