A perfect “shortbread-like” crust, sweet lemon center and a slightly tart lemon glaze make these Lemon Bars the BEST EVER!
I made these lemon bars back in October — and I planned to blog them — THEN the Holidays happened.
First pumpkin season then peppermint season and these lemon bars kept being pushed to the back burner.
A couple of times a year, my sister sends me lemons from her tree in her backyard in California. It’s always a FedEx box that makes me jump for joy!!
Today, as I sit in my office, looking out the window to somewhere between 1/2″ – 1 ” of ice on everything in sight .. these lemons are seriously cheering me up, and making me long for warmer sunnier days.
Soon — I will be in sunny Southern California, and get to see these little beauties growing right on her tree!
Out of all the lemons I have cut into in my life, I have never seen one with the seed sprouting inside? Have you?
I adapted this recipe from one I found a long time ago on AllRecipes.com — I switched it up just a little bit, and added the glaze. Because well .. EVERYTHING is better with glaze.
The crust is simply made of butter, sugar and flour. I added a bit of vanilla, too. The inside is sugar, flour and fresh lemon juice. The glaze is powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice and zest. The glaze is slightly tart, but it compliments the sweeter inside very well.
Store them in the fridge, they are so refreshing cold! My favorite thing to pair them with? A nice cup of tea. But you do your thing, and I’ll do mine. 😉
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Center:
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- Juice of 2 lemons, about ⅔ cup
- For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with foil, overlapping the sides.
- Prepare the crust: In a bowl, blend together butter, vanilla, sugar and flour. Press into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Prepare the middle: While crust is baking, whisk together sugar and flour, whisk in eggs and lemon juice. Pour over baked crust, and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Bars will firm up as they cool.
- Prepare the glaze: Place powdered sugar and zest in a bowl. Add the lemon juice gradually, stirring until glaze becomes desired consistency. Pour and smooth over warm (not hot) bars. Place in the fridge to set.
- Keep refrigerated.
Love LEMON like we do?? Check out ALL of these Luscious Lemon Recipes on one place!